Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Derek's 7th letter from the MTC


Dear Family,

You want to know something funny?  We all wrote the same questions home to our families.  The answers all came back the same.  It shows that the gospel is the same every where.  Thank you for your answers.  Have you guys seen the new temple movie yet?  It is really good.

Oh Ya, I totally forgot to tell you Elder Oaks was coming.  Last Tuesday we had Richard G. Scott here.  So I’m reading the Book of Mormon and highlighting every time it mentions Jesus.  In 1 Nephi Christ is mentions to many times.

That was great to hear about the Smith’s from our ward.  Tell them “HI” from me.  Have you heard from the guys?  I’m really starting to miss them.

There is a quote I have “The closer you get to the Lord (Light) the more dirt (uncleanness) you can see on yourself!”  I really like this quote.  It makes you think.

Here are some fun things I did this week:  I had light saber battles.  I put ketchup on Sister Keith’s hand.  I went to school with her.
 
 
 
It was great to hear about Brandon’s farewell.  Thank you for going.  He is a very calm guy on the outside…but when you get him with he is crazy on the inside.  Brandon may get to see me if they broadcast the devotional next week like they are this week.  I sing in the choir!  Thought you would like that Mom!  HA!  HA!

So I looked up the song Abbi wanted me too.  I only have a Chinese hymn book.  I hope it is the same song.  It sounds good in Chinese.  I hope Abbi is saying the Chinese teacher’s name with the right tones.  If she doesn’t she could be calling her something really bad.  Ha ha.  I did get a letter from the Blue Cougar (I mean Griffin).  I haven’t heard from the other 2.

 
That is funny about the leftovers and food.  I think I have gained like 10 lbs.  My district says to send the cheese here!  It might be gross!

You guys are so weird for looking up and following other missionary blogs.  But I love ya!  None of them have a blog.  Oh Elder Murray is now the District Leader.  We switch every 3 weeks.  No more stress.  We have a blast as a district!  My 3 weeks are up as a District Leader.  I feel a little relieved.  Now I can focus on learning the language a little more! 

On Saturday, we start the mornings with TRC.  It’s basically where returned missionaries, member and investigators come and volunteer to have messages shared with them.  Because no investigators here speak Chinese we usually get members or returned missionaries.  This time they had a Chinese investigator and our teacher picked us to teach her.  I have no idea why, but it was super hard.  She had a mainland dialect and we are speaking a Taiwan and Singapore dialect.  Well, we had problems understanding each other.  Our teacher said she had been taking the discussions for 3 months so we were ok.  But when we were talking to her, she said that this was her first time talking to the missionaries at the MTC.  We were terrified before the prayer.  After it was like our Chinese ability didn’t matter.  We taught her that she should pray and ask Shen for guidance before she reads the BOM every night!  We committed Zhai to a date next month to be baptized!  That is what my Saturday is like.

Sunday, we had the opportunity to bear our testimonies in Chinese to some sisters again.  You guys need to watch the movie Legacy again.  I love that movie!  We watched it this Sunday.  Here are some quotes from the movie:

“Serve your mission in a way that when your 2 years are up Heavenly Father will say “Well done my good and faithful servant.””

“The days are long but the weeks are fast in missionary work.”

“Let’s help God keep his promises.”

So today I went to the temple this morning and now I’m writing letters and shining shoes!  I enjoy it a lot we are having quite a relaxing p-day.  I have some pictures that I will be sending!

Love you guy!

Elder Fletcher